John Knox House has an interesting history. Owned by one Walter Reidpath, it was later conveyed by his daughter to her son John Arres. Mariota Arres and her husband James Mossman, a wealthy goldsmith, acquired the house in 1556 and adapted the building to their own tastes. Their initials and coat of arms decorate the outside of the house to this day, together with the biblical inscription "Luve God abuve al and yi nychtbour as yi self." And this is when things really begin to
Queen of Scots, Mossman soon became embroiled in the religious turmoil of the times. Mary was forced to abdicate in favour of her baby son, James VI, who was to be brought up in the Presbyterian faith. Fearing for the loss of his exalted position and wealth under this new regime, Mossman joined a revolt which took Edinburgh Castle in Mary's name. Although this revolt ultimately failed, the rebels managed to hold on to the Castle for three years before being forcibly removed and executed as traitors. Poor James Mossman. In 1571 he had lost all his possessions, was sacked from his position as Master of the Royal Hunt, and charged with treason. But worse was to come. Following the surrender of Mary's supporters in 1573, he was arrested, dragged on a cart from Holyrood to the Merkat Cross, hung, quartered, and beheaded.
Strange events were to ensue in 1840. The tenement next to John Knox House suddenly and inexplicably split in two. It was said that this bizarre occurence exposed the residents inside eating their breakfast. Hmm ..... The future of the entire site was in jeopardy, but such was the outcry from antiquarians and the Church that the scale of the destruction was scaled back. When the New Town was built, the area had become run down, degenerating into what can only be described as slum accommodation. In the 1800s there would have been at least one family, if not more, living in each room of John Knox House. And bear in mind that at this time, families usually consisted of 8 - 10 children, so overcrowding was a very real problem. The mid-1800s saw the reconstruction of the house, and it opened as a museum in 1853, run by the Free and United Free Churches of Scotland, and subsequently by the Church of Scotland itself.
So what of John Knox himself? For those of you a little hazy as to his background, he was ordained as a priest into the Roman Catholic religion but became disillusioned with the Catholic faith, feeling the shortcomings of this Church and being drawn to the ideas and teachings of the reformed religion. One of the main movers and shakers behind the abdication of Mary, he firmly believed a king brought up a Presbyterian would be more beneficial to Scotland. He was a great orator with the power to influence the common people with his preaching. Tradition dictates that a small window on the first floor of John Knox House was once used by Knox, leaning out to preach to the people in the street below. If you visit the house, the view down the Royal Mile from this window is simply stunning ... one of the best you will find. So go along, see for yourself, walk in the footsteps - or maybe not ... of one of Scotland's most famous religious fanatics.
No comments:
Post a Comment